Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Big K.R.I.T's Cadillactica Album Review

Big K.R.I.T has had expectations on him ever since his first mix tape (or album, whatever you choose to call it) K.R.I.T Wuz Here dropped way back in 2010. Mississippi born and bred, K.R.I.T has always been one to preach about how cool it is to be southern (and there's audio proof of it) and is considered a main example of why southern hip hop remains very much alive today. However, stepping out of the norm and seeing no boundaries is what a great artist does, and has done to prove greatness in the past. It's pretty safe to say that Cadillactica is K.R.I.T's way of saying, when it comes to this rap shit at least, that he is on an entirely different planet.

The album begins with the smoothest and most soothing of intros you could ask for. A better way to say it is, the intro is so "K.R.I.T". Titled "Kreation", it certainly takes no time at all to bring into K.R.I.T's world, filled with booming bass lines, huge sub woofers and pretty women. The hook sounds almost robotic, is very catchy and will almost certainly make you bob your head. The breaking point is just as good as the hook, it includes a robotic voice talking over the bass line and saying "do it like you love me" over and over. Certainly a fun introduction to the album, and I've admittedly found myself playing it over and over again. (*Note: the actual song is only 3 minutes and 20 seconds long, not sure why a YouTube user felt the need to extend the song any longer.)


You can definitely tell that K.R.I.T is aiming for a new sound on this project, though maybe not as much new as it is refreshing. The futuristic vibe is felt in the intro as well as the second track "Life", which includes a very synth heavy beat and a message that stresses that life on Cadillactica is very much evident and should get noticed.

Cadillactica is certainly a branching out for K.R.I.T from his normal heavy bass bumping music, but he shows signs of his old self on tracks like "Do You Love Me", "Mo Better Cool", "My Sub Pt. 3 (Big Bang)", and "Mind Control". "Do You Love Me" details K.R.I.T's car talking to him about loving the sub more than he does the car (which I still find hilarious, it is another planet though). "Mo Better Cool" is another very well put together track where K.R.I.T enlists frequent collaborators Bun B, Big Sant and Devin The Dude. If there's any track on the album that you can very proudly cruise to, this is it. "My Sub Pt. 3 (Big Bang)" is another great addition to the "My Sub" series, where as usual it features a head moving, house shaking type of bass line that only K.R.I.T could put together, but the second part of the song is just as moving when K.R.I.T almost adds on a couple of melodies or extra voices to his in a very good effort to sing (kind of).

"Pay Attention" of course is another fine example of an artist putting out a single that sounds very questionable at first, but then sounds great in the context of the album. There isn't much to say about "Pay Attention", but there is a lot to say about the jazz influence that K.R.I.T felt on Cadillactica. On songs like the Raphael Saadiq-assisted "Soul Food", you can feel the jazz instruments and soulful mood it creates almost effortlessly. I hadn't known much about Saadiq before Cadillactica had dropped, but from the sounds of "Soul Food", I wouldn't mind hearing more of him. Perhaps the most different, almost un-K.R.I.T like song on the album (meaning far from the normal K.R.I.T sound) has to be "Saturdays = Celebration". The hook features blues and rock musician Jamie N Commons, but on your first listen it doesn't sound like him at all, but instead reminds one of an old Eric Clapton vibe with Cream, or Mark Cohen's soulful version of  "Walking in Memphis".  Not bad comparisons at all, but you can give it a listen yourself and be the judge.

                             (*Disclaimer: I do not own any of thee songs, not the rights to them*)

One of the most notable songs on the album would have to be "King Of The South". Now there are many current rappers who could claim this title and not have anyone else argue, but nobody has really said anything about K.R.I.T's claims yet. Could this mean people see it to be true?  "Mind Control" is another bumping track, boasting features from E40 and Wiz Khalifa and focusing mostly on controlling "her mind". Yes, this is the song on the album for all of the women, and I don't want to be too brash, but I believe it's a little early to be including Wiz Khalifa on any songs talking about women (too soon?).

But before I start to ramble any more (too late), I have to say it's very clear that K.R.I.T came out on top again with his newest album. Cadillactica is the perfect example of a rapper (or artist) branching out of the comfort zone (even just a little bit) and still coming out on top and not only keeping your original fans, but building more in the process. The bumping, gripping-on-wood grain rap is what K.R.I.T's fans and southern rap fans alike are so used to hearing from him, and they got that plus a little bit more. Yes K.R.I.T's effort to prove that he is in his own lane is spectacular, and if Cadillactica is a planet, it seems that K.R.I.T is the only rapper that resides on it. 




         











     

No comments:

Post a Comment