Thursday, July 30, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Did You Know Lupe Remade This Hit?

This post is probably just a result of me being super excited that I got all of my music on my phone again. I'm not exactly the most responsible with a phone (my history shows, though I'll deny it left and right), and that feeling of getting every single song in my iTunes music library on my phone almost made me change my pants it was so good. Anyways, going through my music library I realized that there are a lot of songs that I forgot I used to bump every day, and one of those was Lupe Fiasco's (I don't know if you'd call it a remake or not) remake of Ellie Goulding's "Lights". Sounds ridiculous yes, but that's only if you haven't heard the song.

Now if you haven't heard in the past, there have been a lot of rumors about Lupe stealing beats/remaking songs without artist's permission. Lupe's biggest fans will back up Lupe and say that Lupe has simply sampled all of the songs that he has redone (such as "The Show Goes On", and he even re-used the "Around My Way" beat which was originally Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth's song "T.R.O.Y"). Reading up on Lupe's past label struggles is as interesting as it gets, Lupe has feuded with Atlantic Records for quite some time, and at one point he even "contemplated suicide" over a legal battle over the rights to the song "Nothin On You" by B.o.B and Bruno Mars (the song was originally Lupe's). Who knew?  Anyways, if you hear the very heavily radio played "Lights" by Ellie Goulding and then compare it to Lupe's version "LightWork" below, you can hear the similarities, but more importantly hear the imminent differences between the 2. I honestly feel bad for you if you haven't heard it. If you haven't heard it yet, enjoy it below now, thank me later.

                                               (*I do not own this song, or the right to it*)

No comments:

Post a Comment