Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Kanye West Is Making Songs With A Fucking Beatle

I once read a twitter user say "Kanye is so amazing because I've listened to every Kanye album from College Dropout to Yeezus, and I still don't know what a Kanye song sounds like."  Which now that I think about it, couldn't be more true. I haven't always favored Kanye's music (or anything Kanye for that matter, his attitude on things is always entertaining though), but I have had phases in my life where I just "can't get this damn Kanye song out of my head."  In 2007 when "Stronger" came out I was 13 going on 14 years old (I say this because if there is any Kanye song that resonates with me so much it's "Stronger", or "Heartless" for that matter, both stick out to me and I have memories of). These songs stick out to me obviously because I grew up with them and I was sensitive to what I heard around me, I may not have actually liked them, but I heard them a lot and got used to them. I never thought of Kanye West as a rap giant, and never really thought he would turn into what he has today, so I brushed these songs off. Kanye West may not be making the music that everybody wishes he would make, and he may have lost a few fans along the way, but there is no doubt that Kanye is doing something that no rapper has ever done before.

Admittedly, when I heard about this Kanye West and Paul McCartney collaboration I certainly scratched my head. I thought I was reading another one of those web sites that just made headlines for hits on their site, a "TMZ" if you will, one of those sites that isn't even about giving people the truth, more so some exciting bullshit that probably has a very little amount of truth to it and just wants to make you click. When the song came out I kind of ignored it at first (not only because I thought you had to buy to listen, just seemed like more of a publicity stunt than music), but then one day I decided "what the hell, it's Kanye West and Paul McCartney, let's see what the buzz is about."


 Can you honestly say you got what you expected?  I have mixed feelings about this one. It might be better to not put this song in context to all of Kanye's other music because it sounds completely different, but if you're a Kanye fan who has listened to every album you might expect this to sound a tad different (or not, going back to the "I still don't know what a Kanye song sounds like" argument). It's not a terrible song and it has a decent message, but my question is what is Paul McCartney's incentive to do this?

In case you haven't heard a quarter of the Beatles (Paul McCartney) is executive producing Kanye's entire next album, which leaves many scratching their heads. The old heads wonder why Paul is doing this seeing as he's a fucking Beatle, he has literally done it all and could die right now as one of the top 10 most influential figures in music history. Kanye could gain a ton of respect from other fans and have a completely different type of audience opened up to his music, but what is it (if anything) that Paul gains from doing this?  Is Paul looking for a way back into the limelight?  Does Paul want to cross the genres in a way that no one has ever done before?  Or is Paul just broke and looking for money?  The questions become more and more bleak with every detail being revealed about Kanye's next album (set to drop later this year, though no release date has been given).

It's too hard to tell so early what these 2 are planning to accomplish, but apparently they want to change the way people see music, or at least that's what you hope for with these latest releases. There's not much to say about Paul McCartney that isn't already common knowledge at this point, if you don't know anything about the Beatles or what they've done I'd say that you are too sheltered to understand the magnitude of what Kanye is attempting to do. The funny thing about it is that Kanye and Paul not only have this "Only One" song out, but they also have another collaboration that includes Rihanna that was released not too long after "Only One" came out, and you can check that one out below. Be sure to let me know your thoughts on Kanye's plans with Paul fucking McCartney below or on Google+.

                                  (*I do not own these videos, songs, or the rights to any of them*)











No comments:

Post a Comment