Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Stupid Pop Songs That Take Out Rapper's Verses

I have a very strong loathing of radio music. My area's go to station for the top 40 hits (more like top 10 songs over and over again) is Mix 102.7 (not really a mix when it's the same stuff over and over again guys, I hate to be the one to tell you). Now a lot of people like hearing the songs Mix 102.7 plays, and I'll admit there may be 1 or 2 songs I don't mind hearing, but every single day with the same songs you grow to hate is not an element anyone wants to be in (just so you know I don't listen to this station by choice, it plays every day at my work establishment).  My extreme disliking of Mix 102.7 aside, there are definitely a few pop songs with certain parts and portions I actually enjoyed hearing; that is, before the station CUT THEM OUT. The great thing about rap nowadays is that it has gone mainstream, mainstream enough for it to not be too foreign for you to hear a verse from one of your favorite rappers on a pop song every now and then, and there were a few songs that weren't classified as rap that (for a hot second) had a dope verse or 2 from a rapper. Allow me to introduce to you to...radio pop songs that have verses from rappers that don't play on the radio.

California Gurls - Snoop Dogg
This song is 2 completely different songs when you play the version with Snoop, and when you take Snoop out of it. With Snoop it really does have that West Coast sound and feel, as if summer just got here (and it's VERY close now ladies and gents, be excited), your cup is filled with gin and juice and you're ready for beaches, warm weather sports like basketball and football, bon fires, and many more things that you just can't do any other time of the year. Take Snoop out of the equation, and that feeling, and everything that comes with it is lost.

Payphone - Wiz Khalifa
Another song that has 2 completely different vibes to it with and without the rapper's verse is Maroon 5's "Payphone". Now I used to be a fan of Wiz, not so much now, but he makes this song so much better with his verse, as soon as he starts it out with "Man fuck that shit", you already start jigging just a little differently than you did when the song started, and it's pretty cool how the beat switches up when his verse hits. But the radio made another decent song bad again... it seems to never fail.

Jealous - B.o.B
                                  (*I do not own these songs, videos, or the rights to any of them*)

I hate to admit that this song is actually pretty catchy, and even though Bobby Ray just jumped on the remix not too long ago, this song is pretty dope with the B.o.B addition. The beat is (kind of sort of) catchy, and it's funny because being a B.o.B fan (not so much a "radio" B.o.B fan), I thought about how Bob would sound on this song (which can be a good or bad thing), and right before my eyes, voila!  He jumps on the remix and makes it a decent song, though this is indeed another case of a rapper getting shunned, because this version does not play on the radio.

I hate to hate on anything (ironic as that sounds), but top 40 radio music really does irk me to no end. I only hear it when I have to (at work), when I'm in the car or anywhere else you better believe I'm making it a point to switch that channel when Taylor Swift comes on. Nothing against Taylor Swift, I'm sure she makes some semi decent music, I wouldn't know because I don't listen to her whole albums, but her radio hits are seared into my brain for good. Dammit. I have heard however that her newest song "Bad Blood" features 2 Kendrick verses and I'm pretty excited about that, hopefully that will get some radio play and they don't take out Kendrick's verses (they probably will). Anyways, I have a short PSA for Mix 102.7 as well; you suck. You play the same crap every single day and it's incredibly annoying, why not switch it up a little bit?  Do you really need permission from artists/labels/radio program directors to play something DIFFERENT, even if it's on the same album as other singles?  Of course I would hate the radio being the rap die hard/hip hop head that I am... we're supposed to hate it.      



 

          


   

No comments:

Post a Comment