Saturday, September 29, 2018

Observations From Amine's ONEPOINTFIVE


Ohhhhhhhhh! See now I finally get it! He's a clever rascal, that Amine!  I was sitting here for weeks trying to figure out what the title for the Portland, Oregon rapper's 2nd album (mixtape maybe?) meant, but NOW I see it all clear and crystal!  The 2nd project from one of my favorite rappers of 2017 (or, more so rapper who dropped one of my favorite projects of 2017) has put out a new project (well, at least he did over 6 weeks ago... sorry for the late post!) and as you can imagine, (my) expectations were high!  After playing back his 2017 album Good For You for the better part of a year (yes, on this side we actually KEEP PLAYING great projects that we like), I was excited to see what was to come next of the "Caroline" rapper. Then, after getting a Spotify exclusive email on the album's release, my ears perked up and my eyes widened... I had to listen to what one of the most diverse and interesting rappers of the last year had to offer. Now I'm sure I confused some people when I say I finally understood what the album's title meant (you know, like, 10 seconds ago? Come on people, keep up!), so allow me to explain. If Good For You is 1, then that would make ONEPOINTFIVE, well, uhm... 1.5. Is Amine building up for a number 2 before the end of the year?  My conspiracy theory brain thinks so, and if that does somehow end up being the case, then maybe we could also get some hints for what to expect from Amine's #2 from this album, ONEPOINTFIVE, which for the record, is a pretty fun listen. I'll detail below.

Mixtape Vibes... Building Up Towards Something Else?


One thing I've always liked about Amine is that he's always good for fun and eclectic sounds that don't stray too far away from the conscious and real content that he is just as capable of delivering. The entire ONEPOINTFIVE album (tape) offers back to back to back short snippets of songs that seem almost like previews; songs not quite long enough to fill out an album, but long enough to get you excited for something else to come. You hear a lot of "songs for the girls to play in the car on their way to the club/bar"; easy listening that is enjoyable and not overbearing in terms of content or song length. But I am on to Amine... his abilities are not fully showcased on this album (mixtape)... and I am calling that he drops something bigger before the year ends!

Best Song Is "Shine"

(*I do not own any of these songs, or the rights to them*)    

I mean if there's one song on this project that I absolutely have not been able to stop playing (not to mention me and my girl have been jamming to it nonstop), it's the quick, "catch lightning in a bottle"-like vibe, "Shine". Fellas, this is the perfect song to play for your lady if you're on the fence about taking a chance and she's sitting there being a beautifully patient and amazing young angel that she always is wondering why you're being so weird about it (oh... just me? Well then). But if it's not, then this is the song for you! Jokes aside, If Amine wanted a radio hit at this still very early stage in his (commercial at least) career, then "Shine" could quite possibly be that song. "Shine" tops off an album of fun with relationship values and undertones that make those special moments with your boo even more fun... a soundtrack to play to the perfect moments that sum up time with your loved one.

Also, "STFU 2" is a pretty great song, probably the 2nd favorite on this album for yours truly; a harder take (especially considering the original "STFU" song from Good For You) from a man who is normally light hearted and easy going, adding another fascinating layer to an artist that always comes with surprises. Not much to read into with this album, just a short, quick and painless listen that definitely has some replay value and moments from the innovative Oregon rapper. Though ONEPOINTFIVE didn't seem like much in terms of length and depth, it could quite possibly hold fans over until Amine finishes up his next journey of a project that we will all (definitely I) be eagerly waiting to hear.           












      

No comments:

Post a Comment