Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A B.I.G Birthday: My Top 5 Notorious B.I.G Tracks

Arguably one of the best, unarguably one of the biggest to ever do it, today we celebrate the birthday of the one and only Notorious B.I.G. The ups and downs of such a life and career cannot begin to be documented in just one post. His momentous influence on hip hop still stands today and his lyricism and flow almost stand unmatched by anyone. Born and bred in the mecca of a very large portion of hip hop roots, Brooklyn, New York, from which has produced other gigantic names in hip hop such as Jay-Z, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and many more. But enough of all this hoopla, here are in no specific order my top 5 favorite tracks Big Poppa has blessed us with.


1. Unbelievable
Okay, so this song is simply great. Everything about it from the beat to B.I.G.'s flow, is just remarkable. His stylish, wordy vocabulary makes it almost seem as if he could keep one actual flow going the entire song.


2. Dead Wrong (ft. Eminem)
What isn't there to say about this song that you couldn't say about a serial killer?  And who better to join Mr. Smalls than the always descriptive, "don't bring him around you mother" Eminem?  A truly fantastic song by all means. The beat, lyrics, and flow all get an A+ in my book.



3. Microphone Murderer (Freestyle)
Okay, so this one might not count as an actual song to most, but as Biggie says, "spit yo game, talk yo shit." That might not have made sense, but nonetheless, I love this mix. What we have here is the actual basement freestyle from the man himself with the rapping over the instrumental from the movie "Notorious." I find in this particular freestyle that B.I.G's powerful voice shows very thoroughly here.


4. Notorious Thugs (ft. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony)
This one has a quite different feel to it, but there is no reason it shouldn't make my list. Starting off with a chilling piano going into those vocals we all got to know and love from Bone Thugs, Big has no problem expanding his range and sound and it shows in this cut. What I love most about this song is its range. You can chill to it, party to it, or even get a nice pump up out of it if you need it.


5.Victory - Puff Daddy (ft. Notorious B.I.G & Busta Rhymes)
Even though this isn't necessarily a Biggie track, he surely claims this song like a proper emcee does. With more of his endless wordplay and rhythm, he destroys this track punch line after punch line. I personally love this beat, and Busta's constant energy throughout the hook just adds that much more. With Biggie delivering what are allegedly his last verses ever recorded, this video also stands as one of the most expensive music videos ever made, or at least at that time, with a production value of over $2.7 million.


Well that about sums it up in this edition of paying homage to "the real life Frank White." No, I don't even know who Frank White is or even if he's a real person or some sort of movie character. But we do know Notorious called himself this at times, at least multiple times in the last song. Anyways, thanks for reading, and feel free to let me know your favorites Biggie verses in the comment section below. We must keep the spirit alive. Brooklyn!


(**Disclaimer-- All the video links above were taken from Youtube. I do not own any of these videos, or the rights to them.**)




    

No comments:

Post a Comment