Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The B.o.B vs. Bobby Ray Argument: How Artists Change Over Time (My Theory)

So maybe I'm just in that argumentative, debating type of mood today. Have you ever started liking an artist before they got big, expected them to do great things, and got excited to say that you (in this case, "could have been") have been a "day 1 fan"?  Then long after this artist has been through their come up, including the glitz and the glam, making all of that music that brags about the glitz and the glam, you get mad that they're bragging about all of their glitz and glam because you thought they could be someone else entirely?  Am I really already rambling just 3 sentences in?  Hopefully not, but there is a point to be made here. Fans get frustrated with their favorite artists and the music they're making, in a lot of cases even with the lifestyle they're living, and speaking as a fan that did (does) both of these things, I feel I've had a change of heart (kind of, but not really) towards these artists who have changed the way they do things for the worse, and hopefully I'll have a few points as to why you should have a little bit of sympathy towards these artists as well.

So I call this the "B.o.B vs. Bobby Ray Argument" for a reason:  although you could use similar points to describe several other artists and how they've changed, B.o.B seems to be the artist in which these points hit closest to home for me. When you think about B.o.B and his music, whether its one of the 3 studio albums he's released, or one of his 9 mix tapes ( which arguably build more of a buzz than an album of his at this point), there is one stand out aspect of his music:  his versatility. There's virtually no one who transforms their sound as much as B.o.B, or anyone who can do it with as much success as he has. You can almost name his sound after one of his mix tapes or albums, for example:  that's Fuck Em We Ball B.o.B, or I miss B.o.B vs. Bobby Ray B.o.B, or something like "I think No Genre B.o.B is the best B.o.B (Admittedly B.o.B fans are pretty much never satisfied, or so it seems). So in Bob's case it's certainly different, but there are MANY more cases for different artists.

You can practically name any rapper today who hasn't had 2 projects sound the same since their very first. Eminem screamed his lyrics at people on Recovery, Kanye doesn't want to make rap music anymore (at least from hearing "Black Skinhead", or people's opinions on Yeezus), and Magna Carta Holy Grail showed Jay Z obsessed with his money. While all of these examples are big ones, the changes in the music itself can be explained. In Eminem's case for Recovery, just coming off of a brutal drug abuse stint that almost took his life, it certainly seems to me that this would not only affect your personal life, but when you rap about your personal life, it'd probably have a pretty big impact on that too.

So does a rapper's personal life affect their music making process?  I believe there's no question it does. It would certainly affect their brains and how they think, so when it comes to the music and the subject matter and what they talk about, you can only assume it would change. When rappers talk about things that seem to happen all the time (or that happen more than you or they would like them to) like the hood life, getting shot at, selling drugs and living around gangs, if that were you, you'd certainly want to vent in some way, right?  And when it comes to things like family troubles (or even building a family, such as Eminem raising his daughters or Kanye and Kim raising baby North), that's another topic that would be on your mind just about 24/7, depending your priorities.

Another example of someone who's music is fueled by his life in general is Drake. Seriously though when you think about it, when ISN'T this guy talking about his life in his music?  Break ups, partying, his come up, meeting Lil Wayne, meeting Jay Z, getting robbed with 2 guns in his face during a stick up (supposedly, as he says in "The Resistance" off of Thank Me Later), he talks about EVERTHING. It seems we know the inspiration for Drake's music in general (if you didn't already know, which I hope you would if you listen to Drake regularly). So does Drake's music change, or has it changed?  Everyone has their opinion, but I say no because he's had the same influences since he started.

I used to be a pretty big Wiz Khalifa fan (as much as I hate to admit it, yes it's true). Starting from his Flight School mix tape and going on until about Cabin Fever 2, I have to definitely say there was a change in his style (as hard as that is to believe). I loved Flight School and just about every song on there, but I feel what I enjoyed most about Wiz was his different and unique style that was so new that it drew me in. Even seeing how he dressed and his style in pictures from back then, the sweatshirt wearing, backpacking, hat-wearing, tatted up version of Wiz was certainly my favorite (whether there was an influence from "that grass" or not). Maybe that's why I don't find it so appealing to listen to now, it seems he's sold out completely from who he came up as. You can tell the difference in his hunger in the music game from his start up until this point because it shows in his music (granted I haven't listened to really any of ONIFC, Blacc Hollywood, or anything in between these projects). My question is how does Wiz respond to not only having a kid, but also the cheating on Amber Rose allegations?  Do you believe his music will change in this process?  His previous history says no, but I'd like to hear what your opinions on the subject are (let me know on Google+ or Twitter @SuperNovaRover).

Anyways, it's probably about time to wrap this one up, though I must admit it feels good to vent how I feel about some of my favorite artists. I used to love Wiz, but it's safe to say I've given up hope for any growth in his music. For B.o.B it's a different story, and almost worse in a way, because I expect him to talk about the money and the fame and the lifestyle now, but then he shows me signs of hope and the old B.o.B in his newer stuff, so I'm just like "MAKE UP YOUR MIND BOB!" If there's anything I've learned about rap and my expectations for my favorites, it's probably that having any sort of expectation only worsens your own attitude about the music, and ultimately makes it harder to enjoy. Fan's expectations of upcoming music ends up disappointing nobody but themselves. Rap fans have a tendency to want or expect the same things from their favorite artists over and over again, which is unrealistic, and in a way unfair. If you were a rapper, wouldn't you think it'd be a bit more exciting to talk about some different stuff from time to time?  As a rapper, if you had some life changing events happen to you (like starting a family, having a kid, or having a close friend or family member die), wouldn't it only be right to talk about them?  Hopefully you understand not just as a fan, but as a person. Let me know your thoughts on my thoughts (Twitter = @SuperNovaRover, or Google+), and how you feel about these same things. Have we underestimated the power of music once again?             

  

       

            

No comments:

Post a Comment