Thursday, June 18, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Hip Hop Hooray!

This song is as old as me but I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT! 1993 was the year that Naughty By Nature dropped one of the catchiest, most known hip hop jams of all time. "Heeeeeeeeey, Hooooooooo, Heeeeeeeey, Hooooooo" the hook sang out, and it got people moving. Even if played today, I'll bet "Hip Hop Hooray" could still get parties jumping. To celebrate such a fantastic song, I'm here to kick a few facts about the jam for today's "Throwback Thursday" post.

The music video was actually directed by the legendary Spike Lee, and also boasts appearances from Queen Latifah, Easy E, Monie Love, Da Younsta's (which I never even heard of until now), Kriss Kross, and even Run DMC. The song spent one week at number one on the U.S. R&B chart, and even reached number eight on the U.S. Pop charts (which I'm not sure how, this is hip hop to it's CORE!). The song is also certified Platinum by the RIAA in the U.S. So why do a Throwback Thursday post on "Hip Hop Hooray?" I personally remember being an NBA Live junkie when they made it for the computer as a kid back in the day, and this was the background theme song for the home screen on NBA Live 2000 with ole' Timmy Duncan on the cover. So my question to you is; why not?  Enjoy the music video below.

                                      (*I do not own this video, song, or the rights to them*)

No comments:

Post a Comment