Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Why Fans (I) Need Kid Cudi's Man On The Moon 3

Flash back to 2010... a sophomore in high school was just figuring out his place and who he was. Struggling with figuring out who your real friends were and what you wanted to do with your life were thoughts that crossed your mind EVERY... single... day. Some drugs, alcohol, and girls all came along with that ride, and balancing it all seemed to be hell. If you were growing up wanting to play ball, whether it was football or basketball, that was another thing on your mind. No matter how good you are going into high school, every kid believes they have a shot at the big leagues (I know I thought I did, though standing at a scrawny 5'2 wasn't exactly helping my case). Your grades are slipping because you can't focus on schoolwork (because who can with all the alcohol and parties going on, right?), and you go into school every single morning with a hoodie on and your head down on the desk ready to fall asleep. Trying to balance all of these things can be crazy for kids, but for me I know there was one thing that allowed me to shut out the rest of the bullshit and live in my own world, even if it was just for a little bit; and that was Kid Cudi's Man On The Moon series.

Now everybody has that certain music that they look back on and remember what they were going at the time they used to listen to it, whether they be summer playlists or music that they've made spectacular memories to, and with both of Kid Cudi's Man On The Moon's, I was literally figuring out who I was. Going into high school I set goals (as everyone does) to be known. I was going to be a starting point guard, varsity ball as a freshman setting scoring, 3 point, and assist records, (high goals for such a short dude, I know) I wanted them all. But I got into a tough crowd and started losing contact with the ball player in me. Love with a girl got me more fucked up than I would have liked for the entire year of 2010 and for more years to come, but every time I put my headphones in my ears and turned on that Kid Cudi, I was at peace with everything.

When I heard "Mr. Rager" for the first time, I felt like I was exploring the amazon with a sword! When I played "Wild'n Cuz I'm Young", I understood that the time I had as a youngin' would not be here for long. When I played "REVOFEV", I felt like part of the next generation's takeover! When I heard "In My Dreams", I could fall asleep at peace (I'm not kidding, there were nights I fell asleep and woke up with headphones in my ears). When I played "Cudi Zone", I was in the all time highest place I could be in. I could go on and on track for track on both albums in the series, but I think you get the point. Man On The Moon 1 and 2 were absolutely out of this world to a kid who couldn't find his place in it.

Which is why I say to Cudi; please... PLEASE... make Man On The Moon 3 happen. That feeling you instilled into each and every fan of your music is an everlasting one. It's not a feeling you get when you listen to Travis Porter, or when you listen to Fetty Wap talk about "trap queens", or when you hear Young Thug say he's a stoner 494883 times. The feeling you put into people is a feeling that you can get only once; figuring out that they are 1 in 6 billion (approximately). Everyone who listens becomes high when they listen, sober or not, so I'm thinking about putting "astronaut" on my resume for when I look for my next job. I'll end this (sort of) PSA with Cudi's "Pursuit of Happiness", because can you truly say you want anything else but happiness?

                                      (*I do not own this song, video, or the rights to either*)  



     



     

No comments:

Post a Comment