Friday, August 14, 2015

Miley Cyrus' Frustration With the Industry Taken Out On Kendrick Lamar

Recently in an interview Miley Cyrus called out Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar on their "violence and drugs in their music videos" and was quoted as saying both are "bad role models", to which I could not help but laugh when I read it. Now sure, you may say "alright Geff chill, it looks like you're just defending any rapper/rap artist who gets some flack thrown their way." This statement would be correct to a degree. But for Miley Cyrus to call out Kendrick and Taylor Swift on violence, drugs, and "politically incorrect things" in their videos, it's like Kobe Bryant calling out Gilbert Arenas for being a ball hog. This is why I'm glad I'm here; to make points.

Now the point of this is not to bash either (okay maybe a little Miley bashing) artist, but to point out each artist's content and see where the flaws AND great things lie. We'll start with Taylor Swift. In her latest interview with Marie Claire magazine, Miley was quoted as saying (speaking about Taylor Swift's Bad Blood music video featuring Kendrick);

 "I don't get the violence revenge thing. That's supposed to be a good example?  And I'm a bad role model because I'm running around with my (breasts) out?  I'm not sure how (breasts) are worse than guns."


Okay, so Taylor Swift's video features some guns and swords (and is supposedly a subliminal diss to Katy Perry, which I find hilarious that beef isn't just found in hip hop now, but that story is for another person to write). In a music video for a song called "Bad Blood" you wouldn't exactly expect flowers and dancing in fields, would you?  If so, I wonder what your stance on bad blood is.  But I'm not so much concerned with her opinion on Taylor's music video, it's her comments on Kendrick Lamar;

"There is so much sexism, ageism, you name it. Kendrick Lamar sings about LSD and he's cool. I do it and I'm a druggie whore."

Okay, now this comment does not make any sense whatsoever. This is the biggest bit of evidence that Miley (and probably many other Kendrick bashers) does not understand Kendrick's music. If you really listen to Kendrick's "For Sale?" interlude, Kendrick is speaking on "Lucifer", Lucy being a short name that he uses to reference Lucifer. Kendrick talks of what Lucy could bring him if he "signs his deal with the devil."  Some of Kendrick's lyrics in the interlude go as follows;

"My name is Lucy Kendrick, you introduced me Kendrick, usually I don't do this but I see you want me Kendrick, Lucy give you no worries, Lucy got a million stories, about these rappers that I came after when they was boring, Lucy gone fill ya' pockets, Lucy gone move ya momma out of Compton inside a gigantic mansion like I promised, Lucy just want your trust and loyalty, avoiding me? it's not so easy I'm at these functions accordingly, Kendrick, Lucy don't slack a minute, Lucy work harder, Lucy gone call ya even when Lucy know you love your father, I'm Lucy, I loosely heard prayers on your first album truly, Lucy don't mind cause at the end of the day you'll pursue me, Lucy go get it, Lucy not timid, Lucy upfront, Lucy got paperwork on top of paperwork, I want you to know that Lucy got you, all your life I watched you, and now you've grown up to sign this contract if that's possible."

https://youtu.be/REDMPXa4hVQ
(Here's the link to the song, for some reason I couldn't find a version to put directly on the blog. *I do not own these songs, videos, or the rights to them.*)

Oh yeah, I definitely see where "Lucy" could represent a drug after hearing these lyrics. Kendrick admitted to having depression (on the album) and even openly admitted in interviews to having problems with prescription drugs for quite some time in interviews after To Pimp A Butterfly was released. So is Kendrick perfect?  No, he's not. But for Miley Cyrus to judge Kendrick on "talking about LSD" in a song that clearly doesn't talk about LSD, is a classic example of an artist that has had enough of the BS and needs to take it out on someone else. But how do you expect not to get any flack when you sing about drugs, pose nude, twerk, swing around naked on a wrecking ball and tour in a thong-ed out leotard (I can't tell if it's a bathing suit or a leotard, y'all can be the judge)?  Kendrick brings these drugs/bad lifestyles to light to shed light on them and hopes for a better tomorrow for the youth, not to brag about how he's killed a man or how many drugs he's done. For Miley to do her own thing is fine, but when it comes to judging others and saying they're "bad role models"; Miley has no right because she's just as bad. Hip hop will not take another L because some die hard fans of Miley misconstrue her misplaced anger, and have no understanding of what the message of Kendrick Lamar's song truly is.     














            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment