Wednesday, March 6, 2019

New HHU Favorite Nick Grant Keeps It Real On Smooth New Jam "Straight Up"



Every now and again, I DO actually keep an eye out for fresh new talent, believe it or not. I know I've been slipping on my posts lately because, well, sometimes life happens and well let's be honest, and this is going to sting a little, but not a lot of new music is particularly that different or exciting lately... yikes. But every now and then as I said... I am good for a new find here and there!  And if you say that this guy I'm about to introduce isn't in any way new or different, well then I'm forced to ask... who the hell asked you?

Kidding of course, but as little as I've used my SoundCloud account as of the last few years or so, every so often it's nice to get on and see what's trending and what exactly SoundCloud thinks is going to relate to my tastes (you don't know me, SoundCloud). But this time, they happened to be right; because in the last couple of weeks, I've now caught 2 of Walterboro, South Carolina emcee Nick Grant's newest releases, and as rare as this is nowadays; neither of them have disappointed. And the newest release (we'll get there, patience young/old ones) shows me a little bit more of this still not much known about (at least in my world) Grant. What I do know about him right now, though, is that I can root for a spitter from South Carolina, that spitter has one of the smoothest vibes I've heard since Big K.R.I.T./Curren$y (big shoes to fill, yes, although there weren't any smaller names I could compare him to), and in terms of potential (saying this without any prior knowledge of his past projects, full disclosure), I could see a flow and a voice like Grant's fitting over just about any type of track; which brings us to his newest release.

Grant ca-DANCES his way around a smooth hook that isn't quite singing, yet somehow could also possibly be classified as a light R&B vibe. Over a beat that somebody like Dom Kennedy would froth at the mouth over, Grant lightly taps the instrumental's hook while delivering body blows with a voice that could knock you out over the verses, a voice only somehow comparable to a prime Obie Trice; because big things do indeed come in small packages.

Okay so let me stop gushing over this great song and just post it below for you guys to check out. What do you guys think?  Does Grant have next, or is he already up?  His latest album came out not even a year ago (Dreamin' Out Loud), but do these couple of new releases (see also "Pink Starburst" which is also a vibe) say that something new is coming from Grant?  Stay tuned to his Twitter, Facebook and SoundCloud pages to find out, and enjoy the video for "Straight Up" below.


(*I do not own this song, video, or the rights to them*)











           

No comments:

Post a Comment