Monday, October 9, 2017

What I Want From Big K.R.I.T.'s 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time


It's been 3 long years since Big K.R.I.T.'s last solo LP (unless you count It's Better This Way which dropped in 2016, but I certainly don't consider it an album if I can't find it on Apple Music), and fans have been frothing at the mouth at the thought of what K.R.I.T. is going to do next. And now with the release of the upcoming album's (titled 4eva Is a Might Long Time, keeping with the "4eva" theme that K.R.I.T started in 2012 with his album/mixtape 4eva N a Day) 2 lead singles, "Confetti" and "Keep the devil Off", it's harder than ever to know what to expect from the Mississippi native. Will he keep with the funk-infused, "trunk music" narrative that we've come to know and love him for?  Or will K.R.I.T. find a new calling?  4eva Is a Mighty Long Time indeed, and I think K.R.I.T is already dropping signals to the people that they should take any past information of what they THINK they know about K.R.I.T... and throw it out the window.  Regardless of what I expect (or think we'll hear) from K.R.I.T.'s album... below I'll be listing what *I* would LIKE TO HEAR on the project.


Classic, Sub-Utilizing K.R.I.T. Production



If it ain't broke, why make an attempt at fixing it?  K.R.I.T has flourished in the trunk banging sub-genre (no pun intended) since his inception in 2010 (Krit Wuz Here), and since then K.R.I.T. has been a go-to rapper/artist for people to listen to for guaranteed, quality trunk thumpers and head bobbing.  And the most impressive part of it all?  K.R.I.T. produces every. Single. Track.  He produced every track on his major label debut LP Live From The Underground, as well as 10 out of 15 songs on his sophomore effort Cadillactica, so at this point it's probably safe to say that K.R.I.T. has solidified himself as one of the most potent and underrated producers in the game.  K.R.I.T's producer prowess and love of the "wah wah" effect is what has kept his music held to the high standard that it is, and pushed him to the tier of rapper that he is considered today.  Although K.R.I.T.'s reputation as a producer is solidified, it might be safe to say that he is leaning towards more outside help on the production side of things. With Raphael Saadiq having assisted on Cadillactica, which had it's quick hits of soul and funk-infused vibes, is 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time the album in which K.R.I.T broadens his horizons into territories much larger than just hip hop?  Only time will tell.

Hip Hop Titan Responsibilities & Actions; Calling Out The Bullshit



At this stage in K.R.I.T.'s career, as multi faceted and layered as he is, people should expect nothing less than K.R.I.T. broadening his horizons and taking a completely different lane in an attempt to escape his musical comfort zone (I'm not saying he needs to go full out Kanye, of course).  But K.R.I.T also holds responsibilities in holding hip hop to a much higher standard, not to mention a much higher standard than it has been as of the "mumble rap" era.  On his emphatic response to Kendrick's now infamous "Control" verse "Mount Olympus", Big K.R.I.T claimed the crown with a song, then made his case to snatch it up, with the release of Cadillactica shortly after that in 2014.  J. Cole did it on "Everybody Dies", Kendrick (allegedly, and sort of subliminally) did it before the release of DAMN, and now it's K.R.I.T.'s turn to talk his shit again.  As little as you see or hear his name mentioned in best "current" rapper lists, and as little as people speak of K.R.I.T in general, one thing is for sure... K.R.I.T. is never NOT taken seriously as an artist, but more importantly, as an emcee. K.R.I.T raps with the best of them, and he's proven that he can time and time again.

Those are just a few of my wishes from K.R.I.T's new album, if I had listed all of them we'd probably be here for a couple more hours.  Just off of a few listens from the singles, you'd think K.R.I.T was headed in the general direction of a K.R.I.T album; real emotion and feelings mixed with smooth funk and as the kids say, "baller ass etiquette" made to sound crisper and cooler than the crack of a Sprite on a hot summer day (just kidding, the kids don't say that, probably). To the average non-conspiracy theorist, the title 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time probably wouldn't mean anything besides keeping the narrative going with K.R.I.T's history of the "4eva" story, but I believe there's more to it.  Could the album title lead to K.R.I.T's wishes of fulfilling his past claims of wanting to make "timeless music" and ultimately push him to be one of the greats?  It's no secret that K.R.I.T's goal in music is to make music that people believe can withstand the test of time (after all, K.R.I.T is an acronym for "King Remembered In Time").  Who's to say that K.R.I.T's new album isn't a play in the complete opposite direction of the "microwave era"?

Also addressing the double album track list (which is available on Apple Music and online everywhere); the intro song of the first album is titled "Big K.R.I.T".  The intro song of the second album's title?  "Justin Scott"; K.R.I.T's real name.  Is the album a representation of who Big K.R.I.T is as a rapper, but also a representation of who Justin Scott, the person, is?  I can't answer these questions until we hear the album, which is set to arrive on October 27th.  You can enjoy both of the lead singles below, and be sure to comment and connect with me about what you think the album will bring.


                

(*I do not own these songs, videos, or the rights to them*)
                












        

No comments:

Post a Comment