Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hopsin Retiring From Rap?

News hit very early this morning that Hopsin has decided to quit the rap game for good and move to Australia. Now I don't know how many Hopsin fans there are out there, or how many rap fans are particularly disappointed about this, but this struck me as odd; why would a rapper in the prime of their career at only 29 years old (which may seem old in rap, but really it's practically the prime age) decide to just pull a Dave Chappelle and bounce? 

Hopsin's open letter read as follows: "I just wanted to take time out to say that I appreciate all of u who have supported my music for these past few years. A lot of u have told me stories about how I have changed your life. You too have changed mine in ways that u could never imagine. Unfortunately, tonight is the night that I am actually moving away to Australia. Over the past couple of years I have come to the conclusion that this profession just isn't for me, so I'm going to venture out into new areas of life. I will always be an MC at heart, but this rap stuff just isn't for me. I hope you guys can respect it. I've signed over my half of the funk volume label to my business partner, Dame. I also wished Swizzz, Dizzy Wright, and Jarren Benton good luck in their careers. Thank u all!  I'm out."

You have to respect his humble mindset he displays in this letter even if you don't know much about Hopsin or listen to his music, but is there more to this quick and seemingly out of the blue decision to quit?  There absolutely is. Hopsin has battled issues with the label for as long as anyone can remember, and proof of it shows in his tweets. The past couple of years he has tweeted about them a lot, saying things about the label holding back his album, not being able to put out a single, messing with his creative process, and much more.

So is Hopsin crazy for quitting?  To die hard fans, a rapper will never be able to justify quitting or retiring because they want your music, but I believe Hopsin is taking a proper stand and making a good decision. Why Hopsin doesn't just leave the label and look for a new one we'll never know, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Hopsin, I see this just as a break for now. This is a prime example of the toll that the industry takes on artists physically and mentally, and whether you think Hopsin is the hero or the villain for it, this shows a truly human aspect of Hopsin that you really don't get with many other artists. Besides, even Chappelle made a return (not nearly soon enough if you ask me, but better late than never).    

          

No comments:

Post a Comment