Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Rappers With Good Singing Voices

Sometimes when you listen to your favorite hip hop jams, you get stuck wondering if this is all there is to it (that is if you get bored with your music rather quickly). Sometimes it may seem a little one dimensional, or it may seem as if your hearing the same messages and types of songs over and over again. Luckily rap has branched out over the past 20 years, and in the mean time it has produced some great singers, whether they be R&B singers, or just multi dimensional song writers. So I got to thinking about who some of the best singing rappers of today could be, maybe you'll agree, or maybe you won't (if not, let me know your choices on Google+ or Twitter @SuperNovaRover). Anyways, here is a short list of some underrated golden voiced rappers.

Logic

I've posted a lot about Logic in the recent months, but his recent rise in the rap game is undeniable (like his mix tape, get it?). Anyways, Logic is known more for his top notch produced tracks and his lyrical miracle type of raps he never has trouble displaying, but every now and then he shows signs of a good singing voice, especially in his song "Buried Alive" off of his recent Def Jam debut album Under Pressure.

Drake

Obviously Drake is probably one of the first couple of choices you'd think of when it comes to rappers who can sing, and his track record shows, although some may argue that Drake has always sung out of key and never displays skills like a real singer would. I'm not one to argue this at all, and his most recent album Nothing Was The Same definitely shows some of his versatility and singing skills, especially on the song "Own It."

Kirko Bangz

I've never been one to count auto-tuned out rappers as ones who can sing, but it's hard to argue that he doesn't let the pipes ring on one of his biggest hits "Drank In My Cup". Even though I really don't give much credit to the guys who make a career out of putting effects on their voices to make themselves sound good (*cough *cough T-Pain).

Eminem


Okay so maybe I post a lot about "Slim Shady" (call me a Stan, sure, I don't care), but Eminem can definitely sing if he takes the chance to. He's never been one to really give it the old college try and actually attempt to sing great on any songs, he might do it jokingly here and there, but he shows a decent voice on the sappy 'Stronger Than I Was" ballad off of the Marshall Mathers LP 2.

So those are just a couple of rappers who can sing (with or without auto tune usage, although I find it to be more raw talent when it's without it, obviously). I was going to include Chris Brown or maybe Trey Songz, but I find them to be more of R&B personalities anyways, seeing as neither of them rap as much as they do sing. Make sure you hit me back with your best choices of rappers who can sing on Google+ or Twitter (@SuperNovaRover) like I said in the first paragraph.







   

No comments:

Post a Comment