Saturday, January 30, 2016

What I Want From Kanye's "Waves"

If anyone knows how to draw attention to themselves, (rapper or not, although not all the attention is good attention) it's Kanye West. I don't care for the argument with Wiz Khalifa that was blown completely out of proportion, because although it is very entertaining to watch, I've taken more notice to how Kanye is promoting his slowly creeping up new album, Waves. Just a few days ago, Kanye put out an Instagram post of the supposed track list for Waves, and the internet was taken by storm. It's hard not to see it when it's all over my Twitter timeline of course, and normally I wouldn't care about a new Kanye album (send all the hate you desire, I don't care), but then I got to thinking about Kanye's old albums and what it'd be like to hear some more game changing tracks like the ones off of 808s & Heartbreaks, or some more haunting, orchestral sounds like the ones on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It seems Kanye is always one to try painstakingly hard to try to change the game; so much so that sometimes he forgets how to make a more to the point, simple (but certainly not simplistic) banger that people will want to play over and over again. Here's what I'd like to hear from Kanye's new album, taking into account what has already come out from Kanye since last year.

So since last year Kanye has released a barrage of loose tracks that live on no current project, and do not appear on the track list for his upcoming album Waves. Kanye collaborated with the great Paul McCartney on a couple of songs last year, including "FourFiveSeconds" which also featured Rihanna. Then came the song "All Day" a little bit later in 2015. These songs seemed like catchy enough songs to get radio play, but they didn't really bring more excitement towards the possibility of Kanye's album coming. Fans talking on the blogs and social media seemed to want the more ominous stuff that gave the MBDTF vibe, and it seemed like they got it when "Real Friends" and "No More Parties In L.A." featuring Kendrick dropped in the beginning of 2016.

https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/real-friends-no-more-parties-in-la-snipped
https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/nomorepartiesinla

Now these are the kind of songs I can vibe to. This is what Kanye should be doing all the time; his past experimenting with beats and song making strategies has gotten mixed reviews considering they range from College Dropout to Yeezus and everything in between, but with these new songs, Yeezy seems to be sticking to what works. Classic sampling, ominous tones and some subtle, yet powerful beats seem to be the perfect recipe for what Kanye is calling "the best album of all time." He was also quoted as saying on Twitter that "This is not album of the year. This is album of the life." Classic Kanye, but we'll see when that day comes 'Ye.

Kanye's never really impressed me lyrically, but he's always has that "it" factor with his music that makes you want to listen over and over again. The thing about Kanye is that he makes music with no expiration date, songs on every album of his still go to this day (especially my favorite Kanye album, 808s & Heartbreaks), and that's something that a very few can actually say (especially now). So what do I want from Kanye's new album?  I want some banging tracks. I want more songs like "Real Friends" and "No More Parties In L.A.". I want Kanye to bring this "God level rapping" that Travis Scott said lies on Waves. I want Kanye to stop fucking around with crazy sounds that mirror a screaming chimpanzee in the zoo, and stick to the classic samples that we hear on "Real Friends" and "No More Parties In L.A.". Dear Kanye; STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW. I'll end this with one of my favorite, most perfect Kanye songs ever. (*PS*; I also think Kanye pulls off auto tune perfectly and is the only person who should be allowed to use it, ever.*)


                     (*I do not own this song, or the rights to it*)


            



          








   








              

No comments:

Post a Comment