Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Is Mos Def Retiring?

A message from Yasiin Bey (formerly known as Mos Def) on Kanye's website (kanyewest.com) clarifies that The Mighty Mos is putting the mic down after his next album. That's right, Mos Def is retiring, and the hip hop world is distraught with this news, as am I. The reason for his retirement, however, is confusing.

In the message that Yasiin released on kanyewest.com, Yasiin spoke of being detained in South Africa, as well as his ongoing problems with the government. He goes on to speak about his World Passport; "Anyone can do the research about the World Passport. It is not meant to deceive or derive any benefits from any nation state. I have made no false claims. I have not misrepresented myself... I am under unnecessary state supervision and scrutiny."

It seems due to this "unnecessary state supervision and scrutiny", Mos felt it would be a good time to hang it up and bring no further unwanted attention to himself or his family. Probably a good move, Mos, but we'll miss you. You can hear the message in full below.


              (*I do not own this video message, or the rights to it*)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment