Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Mixing of Genres: My Favorite Rock + Rap Crossovers (Songs and Performances)

With Linkin Park making a triumphant comeback onto the music scene (once again) with their live performance on Yahoo this last Friday the 15th, I have to admit I was in awe. Growing up on Linkin Park, it was a nice blast from the past to see them to just kill the entire show, and that encore... oh my. What other bands can say they have as many hits as these guys?  No really, I'll wait. Nothing?  Alright then. Anyways, the performance was too awesome, but then I got to thinking about that Jay-Z collaboration they did awhile ago. Numb/Encore was one of my all time favorites growing up. One thing led to another, then eventually I was online looking up Kid Rock songs (don't judge me). So here is a list of some of my favorite rap/rock collaborations.

Linkin Park + Jay-Z - Numb/Encore

So obviously I had to pick this one with all the buzz Linkin Park has been creating lately with their new album. Plus that song with Rakim?  It's just Linkin Park getting back to making dope music as usual. It'll be interesting to see how they collaborate with other artists like they said they're finally opening up to doing. But I picked this particular one because not only is this song amazing, it's even more amazing live.

Imagine Dragons + Kendrick Lamar - Radioactive Remix

This one is just another example of Kendrick's longevity. Not only the most recent rock + rap collaboration of awesomeness, but on top of that it is just well... nothing short of incredible. Combining the already sweet imagine dragons banger (which sort of had a hip hop feel to it to begin with), then you add in a crazy rock and roll vibe verse that Kendrick destroys via his voice alone (not to discredit Kendrick's verse itself, he does his thing as usual), the finished product is something that appeals to two completely different types of audiences. Bravo to both parties.

Kid Rock, Run DMC + Aerosmith - Bawitdaba/Kings Of Rock/Walk This Way

Okay so admittedly I had to throw this one in because I grew up listening to Kid Rock. Come on, who didn't love Joe C. spitting verses out opposite Kid Rock?  They used this gigantic performance to open up the MTV Video Music Awards in 1999. Definitely the most unorthodox performance of the time, but it seemed to work pretty well. I love the microphone tossing back and forth between Rock and Tyler, I believe I remember hearing one of the two say they almost dropped one of the microphones so they had stopped throwing them after 3 tosses. The most interesting part to me about this performance is that you have one side of it (the rock: Aerosmith), the other side of it (the rap: Run DMC), and Kid Rock falling respectfully in between both genres (at least back then, now it seems old man Rock has sold himself out to country).

DJ Z-Trip ft. Chester Bennington - The Walking Dead

This one's not so well known, but back in 2005 a DJ by the name of Z-Trip collaborated with Linkin Park's own Chester Bennington on a song called "The Walking Dead." Yes...even before all the tv hoopla about some show that shares the same name, there was a song. I remember hearing this song myself when it first came out because I hadn't heard anything like it. What is it with Chester Bennington and Linkin Park being able to gel so well with hip hop and collaborating with rappers?  I certainly wish we got more of that. In case you haven't heard of DJ Z-Trip, he's collaborated with big names like LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Talib Kweli and many more. Thinking about him now I might have to go and check out some more of his work myself.

So those are just a few of some really good rock and rap collaborations. Don't forget that rap did get its start from rock, and of course has flourished as its own genre ever since. So when you think about it, you really do have to pay homage to acts like Run DMC, the Beasty Boys, and guys like that who started it all. Can you even imagine how scary it would have been to hear the backlash and criticism from people who didn't know what it was back then?  I know I can't. Rock has been popular forever, it may have changed over the past couple of decades, but bands are finding ways to make it sound better. Same thing goes for rap (arguably). It may have changed, but now its more global and getting more recognition than its ever gotten. But every now and then it is nice to get a feel for where it all started: an experiment of new sounds. Let me know your favorite rock and rap collaborations on Google+ or twitter (@SuperNovaRover).


(*Disclaimer: I do not own these videos, or the rights to them, or any of the artists shown in them*)

  



















 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment