Sunday, August 10, 2014

Carter V: What Do YOU Expect?

Lil Wayne has been the absolute biggest, most talked about rap artist out the past 10 years, more or less. Starting out rapping at the incredibly young age of 9, he signed to Young Money Records, and the rest is history. Now it is debated at one time that he was considered the best rapper alive (of course me being me, I cannot agree with this statement), but to some Wayne fans he has fallen off completely. A couple singles have been leaked off of his forthcoming Carter V album and they seem to be getting mixed reviews. But I'd like to hear from the real heads; has Wayne fallen off or will Carter V be his rise back to the top?

Now this year has been an unsure, rocky road for Wayne and his supporters. With Carter V originally being promised in May, obviously there were some complications, but Wayne has showed promise with the few singles he's released so far. I don't listen to Wayne regularly and I can truly say I like to get jiggy when I hear the Drake-assisted "Believe Me" come on the radio. He also recently put out his newest song "Grindin," with Drake adding a decent verse, although it is said that the "Grindin" cut would not be included on the album, supposedly just a song to kick off their hyped Drake vs. Lil Wayne tour coming up. It seems Wayne really wasn't kidding when he said "and we'll be okay if we put Drake on every hook." These Drake hooks have seen success up to this point, but how will the solo cuts fair?  I suppose we'll see soon enough.

To be honest, this whole Wayne situation confuses me. Who really knows what's in store for him and his future in music?  Talk of so many different projects has come up that it would make retiring a pretty hard concept to grasp. By the age of 35 Wayne wants to call it quits?  A pretty big part of me doesn't believe that for a second. See what I did there? Since Wayne's song is called... never mind. Wayne has put too many thoughts in the heads of his fans to just call it quits so soon, even if he still has a few years to go. With the rumors of the collaborative albums with Drake and Juelz Santana, and even rumors of contributions to a possible Big Tymers album, how will he be able to manage it all in less than 4 years?

If I can give my opinion on it I'd say he's bluffing, but he does have kids to attend to. So the thought of retirement certainly isn't out of the question, although its hard to tell if Wayne knows what he's leaving behind. A legacy of one of the hardest working rappers in the past 5 years, maybe more, is definitely evident to many, if not all hip hop fans. I see him staying on Young Money and helping out in the production process of the label's albums, such as Drake and Nicki Minaj's solo albums, but that's IF he really retires. Who knows?  Carter V is coming soon though, rumors of less than 2 months maybe, but no real date given yet. If it really is his last, just be a fan. Don't judge the album, don't say what he could of done better, just be a fan, listen and enjoy what he puts together for you. For Wayne's legacy, and for hip hop. Hit me up on twitter (@SuperNovaRover) and Google+ if you have opinions on what you think the album will be like, or if you think he'll really retire.

   





No comments:

Post a Comment