Saturday, October 25, 2014

NBA Players That Rap

If there's one thing that I love other than hip-hop, it's NBA basketball. I love to watch it all, if there's a game on ESPN I don't care who it is, I'm always interested because I grew up with the game of basketball (never was that great of a player, obviously since I'm blogging now). If there's one other thing I love more than even basketball it's got to be hip-hop (you might not have known this, but it's true, I promise), and blending the two together is an absolute dream for me. It's funny to think that some NBA players wish they could rap (well), and a lot of rappers had dreams of being ball players. The lifestyle is a lot bigger than what it seems I suppose, and a lot of those NBA players didn't let their current lives or careers stop them from doing what they love (other than basketball). Here's a list of 5 NBA players that have recorded rap songs.

Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest)
Metta World Peace could probably be known for just about anything BUT basketball at this point. With his infamous "Malice at the Palace" fight back in 2004, and of course his raps, it seems Metta is creating quite the image off of the basketball court. Not all of that image has been good, but I believe there is more good in Metta than people give him credit for. Oh I forgot his name isn't Metta World Peace anymore, he now likes to go under the name Panda Friend. How can you think a guy named PANDA FRIEND is a monster?  Give the guy a chance. Definitely some decent rhymes on this song "Champions" though, which was recorded after his 2011 Lakers team won the NBA Title.

Stephen Jackson
Another player involved in that "Malice at the Palace" brawl is also a rapper, former Indiana Pacers forward Stephen Jackson. Here we have a music video for a Stak5 video called "Save The Day." Jackson proceeds to live that lifestyle in this video, doing things like shooting dice, sipping 1800 tequila, and you know... being a BALLER. A day in the life of Stephen Jackson, I suppose.

Kevin Durant
That's right, even the NBA's reigning MVP has spit hot fyah in the booth like Dylan. This song is actually pretty dope considering a guy that's supposedly going in and not knowing what he's doing (you'd assume no NBA player would know how to rap I suppose). This song not only features a decent verse from Durant where he actually talks his shit, but also a nice verse from an up and comer by the name of Privaledge. I haven't heard of Privaledge before, but this is a decent introduction to him.

Steve Francis
Here's a music video for a "finer" cut from Steve Francis, "Finer Things". I'm not understanding how these NBA players have any time whatsoever to shoot music videos. Can anyone answer this question for me?  Granted Steve Francis has been out of the NBA for more than 5 years, there are still current NBA players that do so (I think, once I find out who, I'll let you know.) It is sad to see how Francis' life has turned out since then, if you haven't seen the pictures he looks pretty cracked out. I'm never one to hate or wish ill will on any NBA player, and I hope that Steve only finds success and happiness in his future endeavors.

Allen Iverson
If there is any NBA player that defines a generation of style, that defines hip-hop as a whole, there is no question it is Allen Iverson. This guy made it cool to wear sleeves on your arms playing ball in the park, this guy made dreads popular, and this guy is considered by many (myself included) to be the father of the crossover. Yes there weren't many more players that ever played that were cooler than Allen Iverson, and if you're cool... well of course you rap. This song is supposedly a freestyle from A.I., and he definitely spits that real over a cool beat.

That's not even half of the NBA players who have taken their interest of hip hop to the booth. Some other guys rumored to rap are Lou Williams, Iman Shumpert, Tony Parker, Joe Smith, Delonte West, and even KOBE BRYANT (I only say "rumored" because I didn't look for any of these guys' tracks anywhere). Kobe's rapping career didn't last very long at all, but there is a music video floating around of him out there of a song that is apparently off of an unreleased album. Shaquille O'Neal is probably the first name that comes to mind when you think NBA rappers, but come on... really?  Do you really take Shaq seriously on the mic?  Didn't think so. Let me know if you know any other NBA player rappers that I didn't mention, and let me know if you think any of the ones I mentioned or that you find have any legit skill in this rap thing. Most of these guys should keep their day job, but this sort of thing just proves how much love, happiness, and enjoyment hip hop brings other people once again. Either that or some players just like to brag about their NBA lives and talk shit. I could certainly see it being a mix of both.  












No comments:

Post a Comment