Saturday, October 18, 2014

"Studio" Remixes: The Complete Collection (So Far)

We all have our guilty pleasures, and being a regular listener of hip hop, the ones that come around can take any shape or form; for me, my guilty pleasure of late definitely has to be this gosh dang Schoolboy Q song "Studio." The guilt in me comes because I'm not a big fan of Schoolboy Q's entire catalog at this point, or even the "Studio" song as a whole, but I cannot STAND to hear that beat and not lean, jig, boogie, insert dance name here, etc. Studio is a banger as I've said in the past, and there are very few beats that come around that can make just about ANY rapper or singer sound good when they record over them (hell, if I had a chance I might even throw some auto tune on and pour my heart out). So I decided to take a look at the approaches that different rappers and singers have taken over this particular beat; introducing, the complete collection of "Studio" remixes (so far). (*Disclaimer: I do not own any of these videos, songs, or the rights to any of them or the artists*)

Schoolboy Q - Studio (Remix) ft. Nas
This remix I actually did an entire article on awhile back. Why?  Um... because Schoolboy Q "Studio" Remix ft. NAS that's why!  Is there really anything else I have to say?  Oh, well, besides the fact that Nas mentions not only leaving his label Def Jam, but he also hints at having a new album AND having a new single dropping soon!  Mr. Jones, please define "soon" though, because this dropped just about a month ago and we've heard NOTHING so far. I guess real G's move in silence. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Cyhi Da Prynce - Studio (Remix)
Cyhi is still somehow considered one of the most underrated rappers in the game, and his "Studio" remix is more proof to that statement. Of course being signed to GOOD Music it's hard to argue that it isn't difficult to stand out, but Cyhi has been paving his own way into stardom with great mix tapes like his Ivy League series and most recently Black Hystori Project. This remix comes from a mix tape hosted by DJ S. Whit and DJ Base, which consisted of exclusive tracks from Coz, Bas, Bizzy Crook, and more.

Consequence - Studio (Remix)
If you don't know Consequence, it's probably because you don't watch "Love & Hip Hop New York" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Cons has built a decent reputation even before that point, but his favorite thing to do recently is jump on remixes, and it shows with this one. I'll admit though, on this remix he got my attention with these lines: "So there's a goldmine livin on my hard drive, unreleased masters that might just get you hard time, I got vocals from Pharrell, two tracks from 'Ye, demos from Dilla before he passed away." Being an unreleased music fiend I have 4 words for you Cons; PUT EM OUT ALREADY!

Chinx Drugz - Studio (The Yaymix)
 Chinx Drugs takes a stab at the banging beat on the official "Yaymix". If you're new to Chinx Drugz like I am, he is a member of the French Montana led group Coke Boys, and not having heard much of him before, I must say he lays down a decent verse on this remix. I can't say I'm a fan of the Coke Boys (or anything French Montana), but if I could point out something about his verse that stood out to me, it's probably his quick flow.

Plies - Studio (P-mix)
Plies takes a different approach to the placement of his verse on his Studio "P-Mix", instead of opening up the song with his verse, he takes the normal guest verse route and goes after Schoolboy's first verse. Honestly I can't say I'm feeling Plies' remix of the song, mostly in part of barely being able to understand what he's saying in his verse. I haven't listened to enough of Plies to form an overall opinion, but based on this song I probably wouldn't want to go back and listen to more of his music.

Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Studio (Remix)
This is definitely a different twist to Schoolboy's hit song, this time Chris Brown and Trey Songz decide to jump on the beat, and Breezy even customizes and remakes the hook himself. I've really never listened to Chris Brown regularly, but this remix definitely does RnB fans justice, and obviously the beat is always going to be enough to make bass heads tremble. The artwork for the song is also really cool, the way they got both of their faces mixed together into one so perfectly is great, but it's also hard not to notice the "TRGA BRZY" label. Do the two RnB juggernauts plan to release some sort of collaborative project together soon?  Only time will tell I suppose. Anyways, the 3 mixed together (although I personally didn't hear much of Trey Songz on the track) are a perfect blend, and a great tool to get your girl in that certain type of mooooood (*deep radio DJ voice*, I could definitely be a talk show/radio host given the right voice tools).

So that is a brief collection of "Studio" remixes made up until this point (if I've forgotten any other good ones let me know), which one is your favorite?  If there is anyone else who you'd think could make this beat sound any better than it already does (which could be a very hard thing to do at this point) who would it be?  Let me know your answers to these questions on Twitter or Google+.
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment