Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Flying Lotus & Kendrick Lamar Say You'll "Never Catch Me" And Its Hard To Argue

Well uhm... where to start with this one?  Normally when you stumble upon some new Kendrick it isn't just ANY other day, of course. It's one of those days that you can tell is going to be a good one. Maybe not like Ice Cube good, or maybe it could be that good, I don't know I'm not Ice Cube, but it's a pretty damn good day nonetheless. Now Kendrick has the power to draw attention to even a guest verse, which not many people can do nowadays (minus maybe Drake, but who draws more attention? I thought to myself and couldn't come up with an answer honestly), so obviously I was one of the many whose attention it grabbed immediately. Having never heard of this Flying Lotus before, however, curved my interest even more than normal.

Now we all know Kendrick (hopefully, if you don't I have nothing to say to you), but I wanted to know a little more about this Flying Lotus creature. The fact that he says he has more songs with Kendrick certainly is an interesting starting point. Flylo had this to say (cool nickname huh?): "We've been working on stuff together. I went on tour and he recorded to a bunch of my songs. I don't know if he's gonna use them or not, but he recorded a bunch of stuff, which is why there's no Captain Murphy album yet. He took all my beats!" Now I'm not entirely sure what Captain Murphy is or what it entails, but Mr. Lotus is planning for his album You're Dead to release on October 7th of this year.

But Flying Lotus has a pretty interesting story outside of just one Kendrick featured single. He has apparently also produced a lot of the bumper music for the Adult Swim commercials in between shows (in case you don't know what bumper means, basically it means commercials, if you watch Adult Swim it would be the black commercials with sayings and phrases across them). In 2012 Steven Ellison (his real name) began rapping under the moniker Captain Murphy, based on the Sealab 2021 character that uses the same name. He has produced for a few big names already, one of those being Mac Miller, and rumors surfaced of him collaborating with Erykah Badu for her next album.

So maybe not the most known path taken to musical success, but he's certainly already on the right path. His album You're Dead will carry features from Kendrick, Snoop Dogg, and Herbie Hancock, and will certainly be one to look out for. Just hearing this Kendrick song I can already tell it's going to be a more different vibe than we're used to hearing, hopefully refreshing. And obviously Kendrick isn't one to shy away from different, so I like this song already, not only because its great, but because this could possibly mean new solo Kendrick is DANGEROUSLY CLOSE. Stay glued to your PC's. The game could be blowing up shortly. Listen to the new collab between the two below.

                                      (*I do not own this song, video, or the rights to either*)   
   
                                          

    

No comments:

Post a Comment